Thursday, December 10, 2009
Our Season
November 21, 2oo9 at 5:00, one of my prayers was answered. For over 10 years I wept at my own personal wailing wall about my mate. Most of the prayers did stem from loneliness, but sometimes I prayed and wept over a man I had yet to meet. I prayed for his walk with Christ, for his job, for the decisions he'd make, for the events that would unfold on any given day... I remember one day in particular when I remembered praying so hard I actually felt something break in me. I didn't know if it was a resolve to just drop it and accept singleness or was it God finally helping me off of my knees and saying it was time. Surely it wasn't the latter because there weren't any real prospects in sight. I had been dating and maturing friendships, but no one gave me that sense of peace that said, "This is THE ONE." I tried with all my might to force certain ones that had potential, but I knew in my gut, it just didn't feel as easy as I'd imagine it to be.
Then, my mom got really sick and spent a few months in ICU partly in a coma. I grew up fast - emotionally and spiritually. God backed me up in a corner... put me in a cave... and said, "My child, what will you choose to do?" Again, I was at a wailing wall, this time not my own bathroom, but one in the ICU waiting area. I made the decision that no matter how painful, how tired, how lost I felt - I would let go of trying to control what was happening; I trusted God. If I lost my mom that day, I'd still pant after Him relentlessly. He was my God and I was His child. I would be okay.Pastor Justin was there with open arms as I exited the bathroom that night. Family and friends made their way down to the surgical waiting room for another emergency surgery. A few days later my mom was having a morphine episode and started ranting and raving about me not being married. "What are you waiting on? You aren't getting any younger??!?!??!" This coming from my mother who had never given me an inkling of a clue that she was tired of waiting on a son-in-law. I was hurt and confused -- not understanding that it was truly the morphine and not some secret inner feelings.
Weeks later this led to me making some relational decisions about the male friendships I seemed to be collecting. Stacie gave me words of wisdom about not settling for anything but my perfect "Ice Cream Sundae". About a week later, God uncovered the most scrumptious gourmet sundae on a beautifully ornate platter. I opened up my email to clear out stuff and to finish taking all my dating website profiles down. I had decided to clear the slate and just focus on helping my mama recover. I clicked on a Match.com email to see what creepy old man wanted me to take his bait. Instead as the email slowly loaded on the page, I was greeted with a warm smile, inviting eyes, and an intriguing profile. I had a wink and an email. I took the bait, and have been caught in Sam's net ever since. On November 21, 2009 I entered the doors of my childhood church to walk down the aisle with the best Daddy in the world. He gave me lovingly to my best friend, my mate, my heart's desire, my new covering, my lover ... my husband.
God has been extremely good to me, although I am extremely flawed. I know how hard Sam and I have both prayed for the day we'd meet each other, and the day we finally would begin our lives as one.
It is a blessing and a privilege to share the testimony of our beginning. It has been well worth the wait for Our Season to begin... well worth the wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment